Monday, February 13, 2006

I wish I knew how to quit you.
-Jack Twist, Brokeback Mountain

The last time I felt like this was when I finished The Sandman graphic novel series by Neil Gaiman, and I realised that Morpheus was dead and gone with absolutely no chance of him coming back.

The same with Brokeback Mountain.

I had wanted to watch this for a long time. By the end of the movie, this feeling of weariness and heart-ache crept over and haunted me for the rest of the night, but not because the movie was over. Rather, its ending is absolutely heart-breaking. I still haven't come to grips with it.

With such an ending, one naturally thinks of alternative, happier conclusions. The What-if's, the Could-have's and the Never-will's. I think the reason for this would be the familiarity and relation between movies and happy-endings, and the time-old lesson that love, whether between persons or an object, overcomes all.

Till Death Do us Part.

Brokeback Mountain.. is a tragedy, bittersweet at best. It's conclusion is one filled with longing, regret, and love; or at least the realisation of love. Forbidden love.

Perhaps the greatest tragedy of all is that no matter what you come up with, whether the giving of second-chances or the perfect solution to the problems in a futile attempt to thwart fate, nothing, not even love, can change it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home