Title? What title?
I haven't blogged in a while have I?
Shanghai's alright. Spring's coming but it's still cold. I do miss Singapore.
Something has been bouncing around in my brain for a while. Technically, Shanghai's supposed the be my home now isn't it? But it's not. It still feels as if I'm on holiday. Shanghai's so.. new, so alien, so fundamentally different from Singapore that it would be redundant to say that it's completely unfamiliar.
I don't think it can ever be my home. My best friends, my family, everything that I know is a five-hour flight away. The family's here but the little things that used to make up my life aren't. Dinners at the Kopi-tiams, visits to my grandparent's, romps at Kinokuniya and most of all, you my darlings. Singapore may have been stifling (weather and otherwise), I may have been miserable at VJ, but it is still my home.
Soppy National Day songs aside, it is extremely hard to uproot fifteen years' worth of experiences and memories and transplant it in another corner of the garden. I can't even imagine what it must be like for my parents. One feels.. transient when it is done. Rootless perhaps to extend the metaphor.
The thing is, Singapore is only my home in essence. For example, my house has been dismantled and now resides in Shanghai. When I go back in June, will I be living there? No I won't. I'll be living in a Service Apartment or a hotel. Physically, I've got nothing left that connects me to Singapore.
Hm. How angsty.
Interestingly, I've found.. things of interest on the internet. Now it's just a matter of waiting for people to get online..

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home