Saturday, September 16, 2006

Once upon a morning dreary, while I pondereded, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of Wikipedia lore..

There are, thankfully, no ravens in sight. Just Crowley (and Aziraphale) on my desktop.

I feel muggy today; 'muggy' meaning tired and disorientated, as if my head's been stuffed with cotton wool. Either that or I drank copious amounts of alcohol last night, which I did not, I assure you.

Anyway, I set a little "challenge to" myself in order to pass the time, just to see what would come out of it.

The online encyclopedia, Wikipedia, is structured in such a way that there are many links scattered throughout a particular article. Most of these links take you to another article, often one that had nothing to do with your original search topic. Because of this, I wondered what I would get if I clicked on these links twelve times and how estranged it would be from the original subject matter.

Why twelve? Because I woke up at noon.

Here's what happened.

1) Opened up Wikipedia (url, www.wikipedia.org)
2) Typed CSI into the search bar. Recorded it for good measure.
3) Arrived at a disambiguation page, clicked CSI, Crime Scene Investigation.
4) Read the article, clicked on a link to "Sexual fetishism"
5) Read that article, clicked on a link to "Breast fetishism"
6) Read that, and clicked on a link to the Sun's "Page 3 Girls"

You see the trend.

After twelve clicks, I eventually ended up at an article entitled "Soviet Union". This has nothing to do with Grissom and gang, unless they're all communists who are on a secret mission to corrupt the American public and turn them into mindless, Marxist robots.

Highly unlikely.

Documentation of the whole process:

CSI -> Sexual Fetishism -> Breast Fetishism ->Page 3 Girls (then bactracked back to breast fetishism) ->Areola -> Jogger's Nipple -> Writer's Cramp -> Carpal Tunnel Syndrome -> Ergonomics -> Space Age -> Soviet Union.

Try it!

Instructions:

1) Open up Wikipedia
2) Type anything of interest to you in the search bar
3) Follow the links
4) Stop when you've clicked on your twelfth link
5) Go back through your history to see the whole process from 1st link to 12th.
6) Post it.
Note: Back-tracking is allowed, but it uses up one click. Arriving at disambiguation pages does not take up a click.

Have fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home